Let's Give Em Something To Talk About

 A few months ago a friend asked why I hadn't written in a while. I told her that I didn't think that I had anything to say. But the truth is I have so much to say about so many things, that I don't know where to start. My days are both mundane and complex. Should I talk about what it's like to have a daughter in 2024? The heartbreak, the fear, the frustration, the exhaustion but also the wonder, joy, laughter and hilarity. Should I talk about why laundry is the bane of my existence? Should I talk about what it's like to continuously have to lay people off from your company? To feel worried about your own security in deeply uncertain waters. Should I write about how annoying it is to make dinner on a regular basis and decide what your household will be eating and why aren't oreos and cheetos the cornerstones of a healthy diet? (I read somehwere that oreos are high in iron, ergo, oreos are actually good for you?!)  Should I write about living in a country that seems ready to turn back 50+ years of rights and progress to appease the angry minority? How about how weird it feels to wake up every morning to unprecented times and then go about things like normal when times are anything but normal (still, again, evermore). Should I talk about what it's like to be a widow at 43 and not know what the next 40 years is going to mean in terms of love, life, companionship? Should I talk about Love Island USA and how I revel in the stupidity and humanity of a bunch of ridiculously attractive 20-somethings? All of these thoughts live in my brain on the regular. Just when I think I have figured out something to say out loud, life throws me another topic. Summer carpool, a friend is struggling, why can't I properly grill meat, a family member is sick, an unexpected expense, a trip, a job loss. But that's just life, isn't it? There's no good or bad that exists entirely alone in our days. There are moments of both, every hour, every day that create our lives. It's the everday living that gives us something to talk about. 


UNSPLASH.COM Photo by llyass SEDDOUG 


Comments

  1. I love talking to you about anything. The mundane stuff, the heavy stuff, the real life stuff.

    You are such an inspiration to us all. Keep talking sister! We are all listening. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please write a book

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so slay queen girl boss mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of the above! Please and thank you! Your honesty is somehow so soothing in these uncertain times. And yes…and book would be very welcome 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for talking about a little bit of how we all feel, mama. ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment